Registration Welcome to KY Twisted, to join our forums please click (Create Account) or the little facebook icon in the upper right hand corner of this site. After you have registered please feel free to post up a introduction and get to know our community.
Hope to see your return and we look forward to riding with you!
Also don't forget to book mark us!
KY Twisted

Photo
- - - - -

PhilH's Extreme Makeover 4

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

They call me Phil the Thrill

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Tiana (2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight)

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

While not exactly a steal, I got this under NADA value

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncuxo.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncuwk.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncuv7.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncutt.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncusf.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8ncuqt.jpg

It's a 2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard single-cylinder 650cc.  It used to be called LS650 "Savage" before Suzuki renamed all cruisers as "Boulevard" (Intruder, Marauder, Volusia, Savage........).  I like it when they all have different names, gives characters to the bikes, rather than one collective names for all.  But meh.  What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

This gal is all stock, owned by a woman so it hadn't been abused.   She only had 4200+ miles on the clock.  She doesn't make a lot of power or twerk, but she's very "petite" and "svelte" that it feels she makes more power than my Yamaha.  Lots of get up and go.  I did, however, feel some dead spots on the power band, so I will have to dig into that soon.

At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do with her.  I really want to make a bober, but Ryca cafe looks badass too. One thing is the handlebar is already drag style, so it's one step ahead for the cafe racer.  So I think I'll keep her stock for sometime while looking for divine intervention and saving money for Ryca kit, if I decide to go that way (Ryca kit is almost $1000 more than the entire bike, and that's just for the basic parts).  

Some small things can be done in the mean time though, like that handlebar raiser.  I can't believe the handlebar raiser is stock. I'm also not a fan of spokes.  If I can find mag tires that fit S40 I may consider switching them.  I'm going to change the mirrors too.  And maybe I can see what I can do with that dead spot.

strat_rookie_by_roguebaron-dapvhtr.jpg

#2 bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):1975 Kawasaki 900; 1982 Suzuki GS750E

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

I can't wait to see what you do with her.  As I recall from your Suzuki GS450, you do nice work.  I ran across your video of that GS on YouTube recently when I was looking for videos on the GS450.  That certainly was a sharp bike.  I imagine the person who bought it from is quite happy.  

#3 kyzrex

kyzrex

Moses on Two Wheels "Lead and we shall follow"

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2007 FZ6.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

Nice......there are kits to turn this into a street tracker also. I've seen the cafe kit done and it is sweet! Some jetting work will probably take care of the dead spot. Be interesting to see how this turns out. Good buy!

"Not all that wander are lost"

#4 Deri

Deri

I get knocked down But I get up again

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

That is a pretty little bike! Did you get it off CL? Seems I saw one like it on there (but out of my price range)

Never be afraid of going down the wrong road. That's what u-turns are for. ~ Me, all the time.

med_gallery_1361_119_21406.jpg
(Photo by Phil H)

#5 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:54 AM

I can't wait to see what you do with her.  As I recall from your Suzuki GS450, you do nice work.  I ran across your video of that GS on YouTube recently when I was looking for videos on the GS450.  That certainly was a sharp bike.  I imagine the person who bought it from is quite happy.  

Well thank you man!  I love working on bikes as much as I love riding them.

Nice......there are kits to turn this into a street tracker also. I've seen the cafe kit done and it is sweet! Some jetting work will probably take care of the dead spot. Be interesting to see how this turns out. Good buy!

I will keep that in mind.  Thanks for the pointer.

That is a pretty little bike! Did you get it off CL? Seems I saw one like it on there (but out of my price range)

It was on craiglist.  I seem to get lucky in the spring  :75:   It happened with the GS450 last year, and happened with the S40 this year.  

#6 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

And then I was like "brrraappp, brrraapp!"

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Aprilia RSV1000R

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:23 AM

I like the Caffe kits, I just don't like the price. As you noted, those high quality kits usually cost more than the actual bike.
Cherohala Skyway

#7 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

I like the Caffe kits, I just don't like the price. As you noted, those high quality kits usually cost more than the actual bike.

I'm cheapo too.  There are some lower grade parts in ebay.  I will see if I can substitute Ryca parts with those from ebay.

Well this morning I want to start it but the battery's dead.  I said, Okay, maybe it needs a bit charging.  I still remember the horror of taking out the battery off the GS450, and I prepared myself for similar experience, but this one was of better design.  There was a battery compartment that holds the battery very snugly, and the door even had a lock.  Nice, Suzuki.

As the battery is charged, I thought I'd check the plug.  The thing is I couldn't find the plug cable.  I thought, what, is this a Harry Potter bike or something?  Running on magic?  Took me 10 minutes to realize that the plug was actually under the tank.  Alright, fine.  I tried to take out the tank but some attachment bolts were under the seat  :17:  Alright, fine.  Took out the seat, took out the bolts, and then tried to take the tank off.  It wouldn't budge.  I swear I didn't see any other bolt securing the tank, and the tank actually slid back and forth.  It's just there was something incredibly tricky or incredibly stupid that was holding the tank down.

I can't believe I couldn't check the spark plug in 30 minutes.  There was only 1 plug and it took me longer to access it than to change all 4 plugs on my Yamaha.  

I'm ordering Clymer so I hope it can shed some light on this mystery.  In the mean time, if anybody has experience on S40 / Savage, or know how to handle an unmovable gas tank, please let me know.  It could be something simple that I overlooked.

#8 bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):1975 Kawasaki 900; 1982 Suzuki GS750E

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

LOL!  Don't you hate it when the simplest thing turns out to be a pain?  A Clymer manual is worth every penny.  

#9 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

YouTube
Cherohala Skyway

#10 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Disconnect speedo cable.

#11 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:40 PM

Itty bitty upgrade

1.  Mirror

Once again, Emgo Lil' Cruiser for $25.  I love short stem.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8pv522.jpg

2.  Fork boots

This is the coolest thing I have seen on ebay.  It's Kijima fork boot with a pre-install split

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8pv5rx.jpg

All you need to do is to wrap it around the fork, close it,

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8pv56p.jpg

zip-tie it, turn it around, and voila!!!

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8pv54i.jpg

You get a 60's look on a 2006 bike.

The boots are $85 per pair.  It is a bit pricey but I guess I'm paying for the convenience of not having to tear the forks apart.

#12 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

3.  Handlebar

S40 stock comes with drag bar and handlebar risers.  I am thinking to change it to cafe style but clip-on handlebars cost $150 a pair.  I don't want to spend $150 on handlebars (even with selling the OEM parts) so I think I will use as many stock parts as possible while look for alternatives which are less cool but much easier on the money.  It turns out it is not straightforward.

The stock handlebar in exploded view is like this:

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mtb.jpg

The handlebar clamp is attached to the risers with M10 x 1.0 short bolts.  The risers are attached to the steering stem with two long extensions with M10 x 1.0 threads.  I want to do away with the risers but the OEM bolts are not long enough to attach the clamp to the stem.  So I have to order a pair of long M10 x 1.5 bolts from Bolt Depot to attach the clamp to the stem.  That means I can't use the OEM nuts but that's fine, I just buy M10 x 1.5 locknuts with washers.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2msp.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mja.jpg

For the handlebar I look long and hard for what I want (style vs price) and in the end I settle with Ryca Superbar from Ryca Motors.  This is the bar for their CS2 Standard / Scrambler kits but some builders use it as an alternative for the clip-on handlebars for the CS1 Cafe Racer kits.  Either they are having back problems or don't want to spend $150 for clip-ons like me :12:   Although it's not as cool as the clip-on, I think Superbar will be easier on my back and my wrists in the long run :)

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mid.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mho.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mgp.jpg

As a finishing touch, I put on Grand Tourismo grips, the signature grip of Ryca Motors

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8r2mf8.jpg

Bolts, locknuts, washers: $10

Superbar: $30

Grips: $12

So this segment cost me $52.  And since the bike has started using Ryca parts, I'm gonna name her 'Rika' as of Rika Akana from 'Tokyo Love Story'  (I know I'm a geek   :75: )

#13 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Nice choices! Love it when people use a little ingenuity.

#14 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

What about those forward controls?  Are you going to move those pegs back some where they go, or stay with the "C clamp" riding position?

......I like that color, Ive been very tempted to get another V Max and paint it a blue along that color.....

Cherohala Skyway

#15 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

What about those forward controls?  Are you going to move those pegs back some where they go, or stay with the "C clamp" riding position?

......I like that color, Ive been very tempted to get another V Max and paint it a blue along that color.....

At this point I don't know what I'm gonna do with the rear sets.  Ryca Motors offers $150 rear sets, $300 bracket, and some linkage.  I can get the rear sets cheaper on ebay but I need to find a way to get around that $300 bracket.  I will need to see how other people do it on different bikes without Ryca parts.  So there's a lot of reading and browsing the internet before I can come up with something. 

#16 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

At this point I don't know what I'm gonna do with the rear sets. Ryca Motors offers $150 rear sets, $300 bracket, and some linkage. I can get the rear sets cheaper on ebay but I need to find a way to get around that $300 bracket. I will need to see how other people do it on different bikes without Ryca parts. So there's a lot of reading and browsing the internet before I can come up with something.

It's hard to tell from just the photos, and not actually seeing the bike, but it doesn't look to have a ready spot to attach mid, or rear sets to.

I did save the stock rear sets off my CBR, and your welcome to them. I don't know if any of the shift linkage or what not would be of any use, but they're free.

Are you thinking rear or mid? I think with your bar set up I'd go mid. That'd allow proper peg weighting and good control with out hampering comfort
Cherohala Skyway

#17 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

I think that's what the bracket is for, to mount the rear sets.  Ryca documents say that it is attached to the frame, I just don't know how.  

If the rear sets get in your way somehow, I will take or buy them, thank you very much.  Hopefully I can find a way to use them.  

#18 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

See if you can get some good pictures of the brackets somewhere, along with dimensions if possible. Then check some local shops to see if they could t build you some brackets at a much lower cost.

Also..check with Mike Wells Racing in Lexington and see what they might be able to do for you.....www.mikewellsracingky.com

#19 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

See if you can get some good pictures of the brackets somewhere, along with dimensions if possible. Then check some local shops to see if they could t build you some brackets at a much lower cost.

Also..check with Mike Wells Racing in Lexington and see what they might be able to do for you.....www.mikewellsracingky.com

Good call on Mike Wells.  I called him and he gave me pointers on where to get cheap cafe parts.  Unfortunately most of them were welded.  Ryca Motors is the only known source to get cafe parts that are bolted on.  But it's nice to get some different alternatives. 

#20 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

4.  Muffler Part 1

I don't know what drives the change of muffler in Ryca kits.  It could be the interference between the rear set and the OEM muffler, or could be weight saving, or could be just to give the bike the awesome 60's look.  The OEM doesn't look bad IMHO but it is damn heavy so I'd love to change the muffler too but the Ryca part is not much of an improvement in my opinion.  It's just as big (heavy?) as the OEM, doesn't look awesomely '60's, and expensive.  I'd go for Emgo Shorty which is just 12" in length, extremely lightweight, and cost only $25.  If I don't like it, I won't feel bad to sell it with half price.

So the first step is to take off the OEM exhaust system.  This is pretty straightforward, and even my 3 year old daughter can help  :75:

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr26m.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr260.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr23z.jpg

The end of the header is 1 1/2", and the Ryca muffler adapter fits just right in.  Unfortunately:

1.  The length of the adapter is only about 1 1/4".  The length of the end of the header is almost 4".

2.  The other end of the adapter is also 1 1/2".  The inlet of the Emgo Shorty is 1 3/4".

So I have to:

1.  Cut the header end to fit the length of the adapter

2.  Buy a shim, $8

No problem, just takes time.  But for comparison, here are the OEM and Emgo Shorty side by side.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr2sg.jpg

Also, the OEM is mounted to the frame using a special bracket.  Since I will use a different mounting system, I'm not going to use the bracket anymore.  So the bracket can be taken off to shed more weight

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr257.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8rr24s.jpg

#21 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

Muffler Part 2

Last time where we left off I am in need of the end of the header cut off.  I could've done it myself but the result would've been jagged-up beyond all recognition.  So when in need of some metal work, I resolve to my good friend Bob Myers of the Myers Machine:

img_20150504_02389_by_roguebaron-d8titzy

After that it's just plug-and-play:

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8tit67.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8tit6t.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8tit47.jpg

I made a short clip for the two mufflers as a comparison:

Honestly this is not what I expected to hear.  The muffler sounds like it doesn't have baffles at all (it DOES have baffles).  Some youtube videos I've watched shows different tones.  So I don't know, I can't say for sure if I like this or not.  I'll keep it for a while, if I grow on to hate it I'll go back to stock or find something else.

Also there's some backfiring so rejetting is definitely in order.  Maybe it'll help.  That's the next segment.

For this segment:

- Ryca adapter + clamp $50

- Ryca muffler bracket $5

- Ryca T-bolt clamp $2

- Brass adapter $8

- Emgo Shorty Muffler $25

Total $90.  

#22 NoGear

NoGear

The Master of Logical Thinking

• Moderators
  • 2,453 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):FJR1300, Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

I like the new sound when idling but when you rev it up it sounds funny. 

DISCLAMIER: Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. NoGear disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of NoGear; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to NoGear. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself.

#23 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

I've learned that nothing sounds the same in person as you tube.
I'd have to hear it "live" to have any opinion.
Cherohala Skyway

#24 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Yes it sounds funny, and yes it doesn't sound the same in the clip, the real sound is worse because it sounds like it doesn't have baffles.  I will try to rejet the carb, then if it doesn't help maybe rebaffle with different (better?) material.  If I still don't like it, I may use a different muffler or go back to OEM.

#25 PhilH

PhilH

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

5.  Jeter

I read some threads in Savage / S40 forum that even though we changed the pipe / muffler, we didn't have to jeter the carb if we kept the OEM filter / airbox.  Somehow it made sense, but I also read that stock motorcycles were set up lean and mine backfires profusely after changing the muffler.  Also I noticed some "dead spots" (see the previous entries), so jetering the carb is necessary.

Now Ryca Motors also jeter the carb but it's because they change the air filter with K&N free flow.  I don't do that in this segment (I might, but really, to what end?  5 HP increase?  Don't think it's worth the $$$.  But again, I might do that in the future.  I haven't decided yet).  

But anyway, the first thing is to remove that tank.  A couple months ago I embarrassed myself by failing to take off the tank.  Now armed with Clymer service book, I tried again.  It turned out there was a maneuver to release a hook under the tank that I wasn't aware of.  After that, it was just a matter of sliding and lifting.  It wasn't that hard if you knew what you were supposed to do.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuyk.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuxx.jpg

So now accessing the plug is easy:

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veux3.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuwf.jpg

The plug looks good although it runs lean.  Fair enough.  I expected worse.  

So the plug went back to its place and I continued on to the carburetor.  Suzuki designs the carb system as simple as possible, which is great (some of you might have heard this, but the golden rule of mechanical design is KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! :lol:)  Taking it out of the engine might be a little bit of a hard work, but after the horror of GS450, this is a breeze.  Just take it out of the boots and off it goes.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuvu.jpg

From this point on there's nothing new.  First I took out the float bowl to get access to the jets.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuv3.jpg

Stock carb comes with main jet 145 mm and pilot jet 52.5 mm.  Ryca Motors suggests main / pilot 152.5 / 55, so that was what I used as a start.  I also bought main jet 155 mm as a back up in case 152.5 mm is not big enough (Ryca Motors use 155/55 at sea level, but that's with K&N free flow).

Next is shimming the needle.  This is important to get rid of the backfire.  I tried to take off the diaphragm chamber but one screw got stuck so bad I stripped the screw.  I had to take it to Mike Wells Racing just to take that screw off.  Son of a beeyotch.  After that, everything came together nicely.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veutg.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8veuud.jpg

The needle comes with 1 washer.  Ryca Motors suggests 3 washers, so I added 2 more.

I didn't change the mixture screw.  It's already at 1 1/2 turn from sit in.  If I feel the need to adjust it, I'll do that in the future.

So everything went back together, and it fired up smooth.  I test-run it for 20 minutes this afternoon and it went great.  No backfire, no dead spot, no nothing.  It pulls hard at every spectrum.  The exhaust note also changed a bit.  But it's still loud, and I'm not sure if I want to have it that way.  At one point during the test run I rode in front of a cop car and suddenly the cop flashed his lights.  I was sure he was going to stop me and ask if my pipe passed inspection, or something like that.  But he turned left shortly after.  You know, it's not fun riding in that situation.  I may repack the muffler.  I don't know, something to think about.

- Main jet $10 in a pack of 4

- Pilot jet $10 in a pack of 4

- Washer $ in a pack of 10

Total $25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search Engine Key Words: Motorcycles, Kentucky Riders, Kentucky Motorcycle Forum, Forum, Bikes, Rides, Twisties, Thursday Night Ride, Weekly, Stunt, Stunting, Wheelies, Rides, Kentucky Motorcycle, Ky twisted, Kentucky twisted, gsxr 600, gsxr 750, gsxr 1000, cbr 600rr, cbr 1000rr, R6, R1, ninja 250, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Kentucky Sportbikes, Kentucky Cruisers, Twistie Curve Roads In Kentucky, Kentucky Bike Routes, Kentucky Motorcycle Riders, Lexington KY Riders, Lexington Kentucky Motorcycle Riders