Registration Welcome to KY Twisted, to join our forums please click (Create Account) or the little facebook icon in the upper right hand corner of this site. After you have registered please feel free to post up a introduction and get to know our community.
Hope to see your return and we look forward to riding with you!
Also don't forget to book mark us!
KY Twisted

Photo
- - - - -

Howdy from Lexington

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

Sorta new rider here.....had license 3 years..just started riding last year.

GOT the itch and purchased a 87 Honda Silverwing....Great bike...at least for 

me ...as a newbi....had to sell it....

No bike last summer...and i was so "jealous" of every rider i saw

Got the itch again...ready to buy another cycle....if you know of a cycle for sell

I am ready to buy...

Ride on !!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1me.JPG   225.97KB   1 downloads

#2 NoGear

NoGear

The Master of Logical Thinking

• Moderators
  • 2,453 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):FJR1300, Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

Welcome!   :136:

DISCLAMIER: Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. NoGear disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of NoGear; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to NoGear. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself.

#3 kyzrex

kyzrex

Moses on Two Wheels "Lead and we shall follow"

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2007 FZ6.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

Welcome

Please feel free to join us for our monthly lunch ride-ins ( starting in April ), even if you don't have a bike by then.

Any idea what kind of bike you might be looking for?

"Not all that wander are lost"

#4 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

And then I was like "brrraappp, brrraapp!"

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Aprilia RSV1000R

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Sorta new rider here.....had license 3 years..just started riding last year.
GOT the itch and purchased a 87 Honda Silverwing....Great bike...at least for
me ...as a newbi....had to sell it....

No bike last summer...and i was so "jealous" of every rider i saw

Got the itch again...ready to buy another cycle....if you know of a cycle for sell
I am ready to buy...

Ride on !!!

Hi

Lots of bikes for sale. It's that time of the year, but that's an awful general question. What kind of bike do you think you want, and how much do you plan to spend?

Gotta friend with a super sweet, dealer maintained Ducati 848 for sale....... It's a v twin ....... Like the silverwing........ Just nothing like a silverwing.........
;)
Cherohala Skyway

#5 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

I am more of a "cruiser" guy.....too old for the crotch rockets.....looking in the range of 1500- 2000.....what kind?  heck if i know....2 tires...runs on gas...handle bars, sissy bar, windshield  LOLOL...shows you how much i know !!!!

• boo likes this

#6 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

I am more of a "cruiser" guy.....too old for the crotch rockets.....looking in the range of 1500- 2000.....what kind? heck if i know....2 tires...runs on gas...handle bars, sissy bar, windshield LOLOL...shows you how much i know !!!!

I've got a sixty year old friend that can still smoke my tail, age is a state of mind, and many cruisers are just as uncomfortable as race repli bikes, just a different uncomfortable.
Instead if bashing cruisers......... For your price range I'd look at the Kawasaki 500 Vulcan. Plentiful cheap reliable, and the 500 twin is based off a more performance design that will out perform most larger twins.

Again, at that price, you should watch all the adds, and be ready to buy that good deal the minute it pops up, cause good bikes at that price don't last more than 24 hours.

Good luck!
Cherohala Skyway

#7 PhilH

PhilH

They call me Phil the Thrill

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Tiana (2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight)

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

I am more of a "cruiser" guy.....too old for the crotch rockets.....looking in the range of 1500- 2000.....what kind?  heck if i know....2 tires...runs on gas...handle bars, sissy bar, windshield  LOLOL...shows you how much i know !!!!

MUST SEE!! BAD ASS V8 MOTORCYCLE WHAT YOU GOT TO TRADE!!! 400 HP (LOUISVILLE)

00R0R_bwl3qiESlKh_600x450.jpg

00202_5bSisHhUHFS_600x450.jpg
00000_fbeZIAgYPjE_600x450.jpg

00R0R_bwl3qiESlKh_50x50c.jpg00202_5bSisHhUHFS_50x50c.jpg00000_fbeZIAgYPjE_50x50c.jpg00p0p_kwP5CfIh8FS_50x50c.jpg00606_8gscuPvJqOb_50x50c.jpg00V0V_hLW1q9SbQXA_50x50c.jpg00v0v_bCBqeOjfXJf_50x50c.jpg00707_cixM1zPXRau_50x50c.jpg00W0W_6AjC9Daxn4s_50x50c.jpg00B0B_7L179zAEoAB_50x50c.jpg00I0I_8Q8Gy4MtvWW_50x50c.jpg00T0T_464eqmaDHUU_50x50c.jpg

1999 AMERICAN BOSS HOSS paint color : red title status : clean

condition: excellent

1999 AMERICAN BOSS HOSS CHEVY 383 STROKER 400 HP MUST SEE TO BELIVE BIKE RUNS GREAT WILL TAKE CASH OFFER OR TRADE PLEASE SEND PICS OF TRADE ULTRA CLASSIC ,ROADGLIDE,CUSTOM CHOPPER,OLD CARS,T BUCKET, RAT ROD, 55 56 57 CHEVY, 64 65 66 67 68 MUSTANG, WHAT YOU GOT TRADE MUST BE NICE NO PROJECTS TEXT EMAIL OR CALL
show contact info
TEXT OR EMAIL PICS OF TRADE

strat_rookie_by_roguebaron-dapvhtr.jpg

#8 Deri

Deri

I get knocked down But I get up again

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

MUST SEE!! BAD ASS V8 MOTORCYCLE WHAT YOU GOT TO TRADE!!! 400 HP (LOUISVILLE)

00R0R_bwl3qiESlKh_600x450.jpg

The heck? The radiator cover is a box fan   :18:

Never be afraid of going down the wrong road. That's what u-turns are for. ~ Me, all the time.

med_gallery_1361_119_21406.jpg
(Photo by Phil H)

#9 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

The heck? The radiator cover is a box fan :18:

It's a man thang, ya wouldn't understand ;)
Guaranteed to boost testosterone levels, and add a full inch to your penis size.

Go refinance your home on a super low APR ARM cash out your equity and then brag about paying cash for your new toy. No one, including you, will have to know that you'll be paying for that monstrosity for the next 30 years........
Cherohala Skyway

#10 Deri

Deri

I get knocked down But I get up again

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

It's a man thang, ya wouldn't understand ;)
Guaranteed to boost testosterone levels, and add a full inch to your penis size.

Go refinance your home on a super low APR ARM cash out your equity and then brag about paying cash for your new toy. No one, including you, will have to know that you'll be paying for that monstrosity for the next 30 years........

Oh, lord....this explains a lot. haha

Never be afraid of going down the wrong road. That's what u-turns are for. ~ Me, all the time.

med_gallery_1361_119_21406.jpg
(Photo by Phil H)

#11 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

NEED ADVICE....just found a 1992 Yamaha Virago 750 , 13K miles.  Looks in good condition...asking 1900.00.  From my research, it seems a good deal.  I like the bike...anyone got any advice for a newbie?

#12 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Good bikes
Fair price
As reliable as any 20+ year old motorcycle will be
Cherohala Skyway

#13 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

NEED ADVICE....just found a 1992 Yamaha Virago 750 , 13K miles. Looks in good condition...asking 1900.00. From my research, it seems a good deal. I like the bike...anyone got any advice for a newbie?

Budget for new tires. No matter how many "seasons " they are supposed to have left. They're most likely too old and hard.
Cherohala Skyway

#14 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

Be careful about rust in the gas tanks. If memory serves me correctly that model has two gas tanks, with one being under the seat holding about a gallon and served by an electric fuel pump. It was not uncommon for rust to gather in that tank and continually clog the carbs. IF that is the setup on this model, I'd stay away from it. That tank is very difficult to remove, and even harder to find a replacement for if needed.
  • boo likes this

#15 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

Be careful about rust in the gas tanks. If memory serves me correctly that model has two gas tanks, with one being under the seat holding about a gallon and served by an electric fuel pump. It was not uncommon for rust to gather in that tank and continually clog the carbs. IF that is the setup on this model, I'd stay away from it. That tank is very difficult to remove, and even harder to find a replacement for if needed.

I do believe you are correct, I'd forgotten about that.
Cherohala Skyway

#16 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

I only knew that because my brother and sister both had that bike, but the 1100cc versions. I spent a winter one year working on cleaning out my brothers tanks and cleaning the carbs. Worked fine all the next summer and then rust came back while it sat in his garage the next winter. He took it to a dealer and traded it in on a Honda Shadow....which he still has.

#17 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

great advice.....like i said in beginning..i am a newbie....and all advice well taken.....i assume the rust in internal and not external?   going to take one more look to see if can see the rust....

#18 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

2000 Honda Shadow ACE 750. It has cobra pipes and mustang seats. A break away windshield. And leather saddle bags. And I could throw in a helmet too. It has just under 40000mi on it. Just had a tune up. Would probly need tires and a new chain and sprockets soon. Asking $2500. Thanks.

as i have stated...newbie newbie newbie here....the above description a pretty good price? ....Dont need the helmet...i ride free flowing

thanks...this group has been very very helpful

#19 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

1....yes, internal rust, not visible from outside

2...wear a helmet

#20 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

? ....Dont need the helmet...i ride free flowing

Yes you do.

You have a God given right to NOT protect your brain with a helmet.

You also have a God given right to go out on your back porch and smash all your toes with a hammer.

We would all question the intelligence, and sanity of doing either..........

Cherohala Skyway

#21 boo

boo

Adrenaline Junkie

• Administrators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2010 CBR 1000RR

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

welcome :35:

Posted Image
Kentucky Motorcycle Riders - KY Twisted

The first rule of KY Twisted is: You do not talk about KY Twisted...LOL!!

#22 riksir

riksir

Forum Browser

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the comment about internal rust......would not have thought of that....good advice..

NOW the HELMET ITEM.......i realize its the safest thing to do....i work in medical field and taken care LOTS of motorcycle accident victims.  I always thought motorcycle riders were stupid dump organ donor.  Who in their right mind would ride on 2 tires at the speeds we ride....HOWEVER i got bit by the bug.

As I said, I work in healthcare and seen LOTS of motorcycle accident victims.  There is one common situation that I have observed. Those that wear a helmet are majority of the time, neurologically ok, but their body from the neck down is totally messed up.  I have decided, i do not want a great working mind with a terrible in pain, wrecked body when and if i have an accident.  I will be a great organ donor.  I am at an age, I know what my kids look like and are as an adult, I know what my fantastic grandkids looks like.  I do not want all my financial investment to go into paying for care for a "in pain" wreck body.  I would rather my investments be used by family to enjoy and live life better.  Thus, i made a decision not to wear a helmet. 

#23 kyzrex

kyzrex

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Rik......certainly is YOUR decision to make and I certainly respect both your right to make the decision and your reasoning behind the decision you have made.

However, while I don't have your medical back ground, I do have 40 years of riding expereince. Riding expereince of all kinds, including dirt, street, track and I do wear a helmet all the time when riding, a full face helmet, and wouldn't consider riding without one.

My question to you is about the people that you have seen in your medical expereince. Where those people ALSO wearing the proper gear in the form of jackets, pants, gloves, boots? When I say proper gear, I mean one with the right pads, in the right places? I seen some very horendous looking accidents on motorcycles, especially at the track, where the riders got up and walked away, usually with little or no damage to their body. The common thread in all of those instances...PROPER gear.

I myself have crashed a bike (actually more than one), totaled the bike, and come out of it with nothing worse than cracked ribs. I keep the helmet I wore hanging on the wall of my garage. It's there to remind me why I always wear one. It has two large areas where there is no more paint and the fiberglass is heavily scuffed. One is over the right temple, the other is in the right side of the chin guard. These where caused by me face planting. That could have been my face and skull. This accident occurred at 35mph on route 467 near Dry Ridge, Ky. I hit hard enough to crack 3 ribs on right side, but since I was wearing a full suit, with shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee padding, and had proper boots and padded/protected gloves, I had no other injuries.

I see lots of people wearing gym shoes, no gloves, t-shirts, jeans, and a 500.00 helmet that they liked the graphics on. You can get a complete suit with boots, gloves, and helmet for less than that from some retailers. The plus is that not only are you safer in case of an accident, you actually can ride more comfortably in a wider range of temps and weather conditions, if you get the complete proper gear.

Once again, NOT telling YOU what to do. Only trying to explain why I do what I do, and why I always reccomend not just wearing a helmet, but also getting a full kit and riding with ALL the proper gear.

#24 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:55 AM

Im gonna agree kyzex.  I've gone down more than once.  Worse case being that I hit a deer at around 60 mph in 2002.  I went down face first.  I walked away with a separated shoulder and fractured thumb.  The bike, helmet, and $500 jacket did their job, and the insurance company replaced them all.

The difference between a ride in the ambulance, and simply standing their laughing at your own mishap is generally up to the gear you choose to use...........or not.

Cherohala Skyway

#25 NoGear

NoGear

The Master of Logical Thinking

• Moderators
  • 2,453 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):FJR1300, Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:58 AM

I also have to side with kyrex.  I also have been riding since I was 8 years old and like you  when I first got my license I rode without a helmet.  It took a friend dying after hitting his head on the pavement WHILE IN A PARKING LOT doing less than mph to change my mind.  Since then I have gone down on the German autobahn at 130mph and walked away from the crash. Without a helmet I wouldn't be here today.  If you want to talk about injuries I've had more than a few.  In 1996 I broke my back and was told I would never walk again.  At the L5-S1 I ruptured the disc through the thecal sac into my spinal cord.  After nine months in the hospital and two surgeries I started gaining nerve function back.  It took another 2 1/2 years of physical therapy but I'm walking and riding today.   The other side of the coin is that without a helmet I wouldn't be here now.   I always wear full gear every time I ride. 

DISCLAMIER: Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. NoGear disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of NoGear; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to NoGear. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search Engine Key Words: Motorcycles, Kentucky Riders, Kentucky Motorcycle Forum, Forum, Bikes, Rides, Twisties, Thursday Night Ride, Weekly, Stunt, Stunting, Wheelies, Rides, Kentucky Motorcycle, Ky twisted, Kentucky twisted, gsxr 600, gsxr 750, gsxr 1000, cbr 600rr, cbr 1000rr, R6, R1, ninja 250, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Kentucky Sportbikes, Kentucky Cruisers, Twistie Curve Roads In Kentucky, Kentucky Bike Routes, Kentucky Motorcycle Riders, Lexington KY Riders, Lexington Kentucky Motorcycle Riders