Registration Welcome to KY Twisted, to join our forums please click (Create Account) or the little facebook icon in the upper right hand corner of this site. After you have registered please feel free to post up a introduction and get to know our community.
Hope to see your return and we look forward to riding with you!
Also don't forget to book mark us!
KY Twisted

Photo

Covered Bridges, Part 4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

They call me Phil the Thrill

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Tiana (2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight)

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

If Spartacus were still around, he would've said: Bless the gods for good weather.  None shall see it wasted, or fall upon misery at home.

I wish, though, mother nature were kind to us yesterday.  There were a list of riding activities that were lost because of the rain.  But I'm not going to be an ingrate kid that cries over spilled milk.  Like what Spartacus could've said, good weather should not be wasted, regardless the day.

So where should I go on a nice afternoon, I wondered?  Well, you know me.  Where else would I go?  :lol: On today's list were 3 covered bridges that were grouped together around Bracken / Flemming Counties: Walcott, Dover, and Valley Pike.  I started out at 1.30 pm (I wish I could start early in the morning so I could hit the remaining 2 bridges at the eastern KY).  From Lexington I took Russel Cave road north until US62, then continued past Cynthiana all the way to Oddville. Nothing worth of mention, except that Oddville was an amish community.  Or maybe it just happened that 2 amish boy were walking at the roadside, looking at me, and giving me "odd" hand gesture.  I don't know.  I didn't even know what they were trying to say, so I just ignored them and went on my merry way.

Past Oddville US62 branched to KY19.  This is a fun road.  I went through it the last time and I wanted to do it again.  It was moderately curvy with interchanging scenery between rolling hills and rural settlements.  But unfortunately I had been spending time too much on a cage (I think?) that I didn't feel comfortable on the twisties.  As Austin Powers says: "Crickey!  I lost my Mow-Jow!!"  I tried to remember what was different from the last time, but couldn't find any.  So I just slowed down, wayyyyy down.  It was almost embarrasing, but I'd rather be safe.

Going past KY19 I took 1159 north.  This was an unmaintained road, full of debris and uneven pavement.  Luckily I had to be here only for 5 minutes.  Wolcott bridge was just off Highway 9 and what a sight for sore eyes (and bums  :P)

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2lb.jpg

This one was in really, really good condition

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2jr.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2i7.jpg

There was a spot at the creek bank that we could go far into the water and take cool snapshots of the bridge

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2gs.jpg

One down, two to go.  Next I went to the elusive Dover.  Last time (on Part 3) I failed to find the entrance.  So this time I came from the opposite direction.  I took Highway 8 eastbound so I would need to turn right instead of left.  That should be easier, and proved to be successful.  This one was in a cul-de-sac next to Lee's Creek Road, and was actually still in use, although it took me nowhere.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2ff.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2el.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2d2.jpg

Alright, two bridges under my belt.  The last one was Valley Pike.  This was hard to find because it was in the middle of nowhere (at least according to Google maps).  But it was only 7 miles from Dover, so why quit when you're so close to perfection?  First I went back to Highway 8 eastbound until KY576 or Tuckahoe Road. Then I went 4 miles until I found an even smaller road Minerva Tuckahoe Road.  Went there for 1 mile through light forest until a branch to Valley Pike.  From there another mile until the bridge.  This one was in a very poor condition.  It looked like the thing was about to fall apart.  Poor guy.

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2bw.jpg

untitled_by_roguebaron-d8lw2a6.jpg

Alright, 3 for 3.  It was only 4 o'clock and the sun was still bright.  At this time I could continue to Bennett Mill, 65 miles away, but I didn't want to push it.  Quit while you're ahead.  So I just continued down Valley Pike to Germantown Road, then Highway 9, then US68.  Nothing to report on this leg.  It was just one stretch of road.  I did push my bike close to 90 but since the speed limit was only 55, again, I didn't want to push it further than that.  Some other time, some other highway (or interstate, for that matter).

So... only Bennett Mill and Oldtown remain.  Bennet Mill holds annual dinner to raise money for the maintenance of the bridge each June, so that could be my motivation to finish my series this summer.  Close this chapter, and find something else to obsess about.  We'll see.  

strat_rookie_by_roguebaron-dapvhtr.jpg

#2 GIJaneDoe

GIJaneDoe

Training Wheels

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

I love covered bridges. I need to put these on my "must see" list.

#3 Blackbird66

Blackbird66

And then I was like "brrraappp, brrraapp!"

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Aprilia RSV1000R

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Weather was great yesterday.
Had a group of 17 of us over at louisville Sportbikes do about a 200 mile loop. Felt so good to be out in the warm sun!

Looks like a great ride!
Cherohala Skyway

#4 NoGear

NoGear

The Master of Logical Thinking

• Moderators
  • 2,453 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):FJR1300, Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Had too much to do yesterday but I'm glad you made it out. 

DISCLAMIER: Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. NoGear disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of NoGear; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to NoGear. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself.

#5 PhilH

PhilH

They call me Phil the Thrill

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Tiana (2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight)

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Here's the video I took while I was on KY 19.  The clip is not in slo-mo; I was going slow  :66:

strat_rookie_by_roguebaron-dapvhtr.jpg

#6 bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):1975 Kawasaki 900; 1982 Suzuki GS750E

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

Terrific write up and pics, Phil.  Very inspiring.  I need to get the fork seals and boots changed out and check/adjust the valves before I do much riding this spring.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search Engine Key Words: Motorcycles, Kentucky Riders, Kentucky Motorcycle Forum, Forum, Bikes, Rides, Twisties, Thursday Night Ride, Weekly, Stunt, Stunting, Wheelies, Rides, Kentucky Motorcycle, Ky twisted, Kentucky twisted, gsxr 600, gsxr 750, gsxr 1000, cbr 600rr, cbr 1000rr, R6, R1, ninja 250, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Kentucky Sportbikes, Kentucky Cruisers, Twistie Curve Roads In Kentucky, Kentucky Bike Routes, Kentucky Motorcycle Riders, Lexington KY Riders, Lexington Kentucky Motorcycle Riders