Registration Welcome to KY Twisted, to join our forums please click (Create Account) or the little facebook icon in the upper right hand corner of this site. After you have registered please feel free to post up a introduction and get to know our community.
Hope to see your return and we look forward to riding with you!
Also don't forget to book mark us!
KY Twisted

Photo

Looking at tires

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):SV650s

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Looking around at tires and I've kinda narrowed it down to either michelin road 3 or power 2ct. What would you recommend? I currently have Metzeler Z6 Road Tec's that were on the bike when I bought it, but not quite sure they work that great in the twisties. Seems really hard to get it to lean, although once I do it seems fine but I'd prefer something that I dont have to push as hard to get over. Have an SV650...
Blue 01 SV650s - decently modified
Blue 07 G6 GTP - heavily modified

#2 CaRBoN

CaRBoN

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

I highly suggest the Pilot Powers 2ct. I paid $240 for them and $70 to put on at Paradise Cycles. Even though im new i could tell a big difference between the tires. Me, SRAD, Twisted and couple others have them. And a lot of people i talk to recrommend them also. Chaos can tell you about the Road 3s thats the only person I know that has them. The Road 3s are also more expensive unless money isn't the factor.
Posted Image

#3 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

I highly suggest the Pilot Powers 2ct. I paid $240 for them and $70 to put on at Paradise Cycles. Even though im new i could tell a big difference between the tires. Me, SRAD, Twisted and couple others have them. And a lot of people i talk to recrommend them also. Chaos can tell you about the Road 3s thats the only person I know that has them. The Road 3s are also more expensive unless money isn't the factor.

Where did you end up getting them from?

#4 CaRBoN

CaRBoN

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

I got mine from http://www.motosport.com Shipped in only 2-3 Days. You could probably get them from a shop around town but if they don't have them in stock idk how long it would take for you to get them.
Posted Image

#5 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):04 Triumph Daytona 600

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

I have the Road 3's and love them
"Life's Chaotic. Live it! ~ Me"

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#6 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

I have the Road 3's and love them

How are they holding the corners? The thing I like most about them is the tread life, but I don't want to sacrafice the cornering grip. I'm even looking at the pures but the tread life doesn't seem to be very good.

#7 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

I have only had them on for a little over a month. They are supposed to get great tread life though, that is why I got them. I was running Pirelli Diablos and got about 9K+ miles out of them. I wanted to change it up and see what else was out there. Boo told me about the Michelin Road 3's so I figured I would check them out. They are basically the same as the Road 2's only they are supposed to be better in the rain as well, with a different tread pattern. They are a 2ct tire so they are a dual compound. They are harder in the middle and softer on the sides. I think they are great, and handle great in the twisities. I ride everyday, so I need a tire that will last. I think the Michelin Power's are great as well, but I just need something with a longer tread life.

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#8 El-Bandito

El-Bandito

Master of Insanity

• Administrators
  • 1,890 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):Suzuki Bandit...... Duh!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

How are they holding the corners? The thing I like most about them is the tread life, but I don't want to sacrafice the cornering grip. I'm even looking at the pures but the tread life doesn't seem to be very good.

For 90% of the riders out there. The PR-2s or PR-3s have plenty of grip in the corners. I'm running the 2's right now, and so do a few others that can ride a spirited pace.

You'll get twice the mileage out of the Roads over the Powers!!! On that SV I'm guessing around 9-12k on the Pilot Roads, and 4-6k on the Powers. Roads are much better in the rain too.
EGO is not your AMIGO!

#9 boo

boo

Adrenaline Junkie

• Administrators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2010 CBR 1000RR

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

^^^^

If your going for life and good corners the pilot roads are perfect. I dont think id switch to another tire... plus the wet grip is great as well, ive been caught in the rain a few times
Posted Image
Kentucky Motorcycle Riders - KY Twisted

The first rule of KY Twisted is: You do not talk about KY Twisted...LOL!!

#10 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

I ride only for pleasure and have never gone out during rain. If you all never rode in the rain would you have gone with the powers?

#11 El-Bandito

El-Bandito

Master of Insanity

• Administrators
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

I ride only for pleasure and have never gone out during rain. If you all never rode in the rain would you have gone with the powers?

Just my $0.02 for what its worth.

1. The powers have more of a triangular profile and fall into the corners. Stick like glue. The Roads have a more round profile, and feel more neutral in the corners. Still stick like glue. Most likely you're not going to outride the PR-2 or 3s. Love my PR-2s, Cho-Ass likes his 3s, and I think Boo is running 2s on his Gixxer. All 3 600cc bikes, same but different riding styles, but the same reviews.

2. If I was on a CBR1000...... I'd go with the powers and plan on changing them every 2-3k miles. I think in the long run, you'll like the roads. A little more $$$$, but a lot more miles.

Clutch may toss in his $0.02 on the powers. I think that's what he just spooned on the ghost.

Just checked Derby Cycles....... PP2ct $247/set PR-2 $250/set PR-3 $300/set

Edited by El-Bandito, 20 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

EGO is not your AMIGO!

#12 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

1. The powers have more of a triangular profile and fall into the corners. Stick like glue. The Roads have a more round profile, and feel more neutral in the corners. Still stick like glue. Most likely you're not going to outride the PR-2 or 3s. Love my PR-2s, Cho-Ass likes his 3s, and I think Boo is running 2s on his Gixxer. All 3 600cc bikes, same but different riding styles, but the same reviews.

2. If I was on a CBR1000...... I'd go with the powers and plan on changing them every 2-3k miles. I think in the long run, you'll like the roads. A little more $$$$, but a lot more miles.

Clutch may toss in his $0.02 on the powers. I think that's what he just spooned on the ghost.

Well said.

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#13 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks that helps alot. Do you know if that's installed or not?

#14 ZX6R_Dave

ZX6R_Dave

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

Personally, Michelin Power Pure's are the only tires that I will ever put on my bike. I have not found any other street tire that offers the amount of grip that they do. The only down side to them is that I only get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set at the most.

~  Every Road Has A Rhythm. Find It.  ~

#15 El-Bandito

El-Bandito

Master of Insanity

• Administrators
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

Thanks that helps alot. Do you know if that's installed or not?

Not installed. Mounting and balancing are going to be $20-30 per wheel depending on where you take them.
EGO is not your AMIGO!

#16 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

Personally, Michelin Power Pure's are the only tires that I will ever put on my bike. I have not found any other street tire that offers the amount of grip that they do. The only down side to them is that I only get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set at the most.

Damn Dave there is no way in hell I could do that. I would be changing tires like every 1-2 months.

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#17 boo

boo

Adrenaline Junkie

• Administrators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):2010 CBR 1000RR

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

^^^^ yeah i want to try those out but im getting 6k-9k miles outta my 2's and still can lean like crazy
Posted Image
Kentucky Motorcycle Riders - KY Twisted

The first rule of KY Twisted is: You do not talk about KY Twisted...LOL!!

#18 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

After doing more research and seeing them in person (thanks mike) I feel the Road 3's would be my best choice. Also the 3's softer rubber on the rear tire covers 40% on either side vs the Power 2ct only being 11%, meaning your best grip is at an extreme angle and I'm not really planning on hitting the edges anytime soon. My only problem now is I just had to make a 2500 deposit on my wedding reception for over 150 people to eat and get drunk so I'll have to wait a few months before I want to shell out over 300 for them.

#19 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

After doing more research and seeing them in person (thanks mike) I feel the Road 3's would be my best choice. Also the 3's softer rubber on the rear tire covers 40% on either side vs the Power 2ct only being 11%, meaning your best grip is at an extreme angle and I'm not really planning on hitting the edges anytime soon. My only problem now is I just had to make a 2500 deposit on my wedding reception for over 150 people to eat and get drunk so I'll have to wait a few months before I want to shell out over 300 for them.

Isn't getting married fun! LOL! :lol: I think you'll like the 3's, I know I do. Plus they should last you a while.

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#20 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Isn't getting married fun! LOL! :lol: I think you'll like the 3's, I know I do. Plus they should last you a while.

Not really I'm happy just being engaged lol but I guess its time. Other then forking out my small share I'm staying out of it and letting her do her thing. I'm just glad I'm the guy that is allowing everyone to pretty much drink all they want lol.

#21 ChAoS

ChAoS

Chaotic Pimpage

• Administrators
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Yea, I had to do that once. In the end it was worth it. We all had a great time.

ChAoS

04' Daytona 600

#22 CaRBoN

CaRBoN

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

CourtHouse ftw (XD) and any of us invited :angry:
Posted Image

#23 El-Bandito

El-Bandito

Master of Insanity

• Administrators
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Al Bundy ring a bell?

Congrats on the wedding!
EGO is not your AMIGO!

#24 Clutch

Clutch

Gearhead

• Moderators
  • 2,630 posts
  • Motorcycle(s):05 kawasaki ninja zx6r

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

me and princess got married by a jp in a tattoo shop :lol: good luck and congrats. as far as the tire, fine choice

King of the Lowside

81 kawasaki ldt 550 (purple kaw).... sold it

85 kawasaki gpz900 ninja (beast)... sold it

2008 kawasaki zzr600 (twista)...wrecked it

2003 kawasaki zx6r...(ghost) whecked by careless driver in suv

04 kawasaki zx10r...(widow) wrecked it

04 yamaha r1 (the whip)... rode it fixed it rode it fixed it rode it lowsided it hated it sold it

05 kawasaki zx6r (mistress) love it

#25 Rob

Rob

Official Forum Junkie

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

I told her last night we should just go to the courthouse... That's a nogo lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search Engine Key Words: Motorcycles, Kentucky Riders, Kentucky Motorcycle Forum, Forum, Bikes, Rides, Twisties, Thursday Night Ride, Weekly, Stunt, Stunting, Wheelies, Rides, Kentucky Motorcycle, Ky twisted, Kentucky twisted, gsxr 600, gsxr 750, gsxr 1000, cbr 600rr, cbr 1000rr, R6, R1, ninja 250, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Kentucky Sportbikes, Kentucky Cruisers, Twistie Curve Roads In Kentucky, Kentucky Bike Routes, Kentucky Motorcycle Riders, Lexington KY Riders, Lexington Kentucky Motorcycle Riders